mardi 22 mars 2011

Firefox 4 is burning my CPU !

Hi !
Cause I'm webdevelopper, my browser is an important part of my software, so I'm using the lastest Firefox 4rc2 (my be the final one ?).
In Firefox 4 a new feature called "plugin container" has been added. The aim is to prevent crash brower when plugin like Flash are craching. The plugin is running in a process apart the main process, so when it crash, the video/pdf/game... is crash but you keep your browser safe.
On paper is a very nice feature.
BUT !
The CPU consumption is increase very much !
Yesterday I was watching a video in 480p on youtube and for first time since long time, my fan was audible, the temperature was increase from 55°C to 80°C in less than 20 secondes !
I'm on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 (Macbook13 Nvidia9400M).

Hope this problem will be solved before the final release.

So for the moment, you can disable plugin-container :
- go to about:config
- search for "dom.ipc"
- dom.ipc.plugins.enabled = true
- dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.* = false

Restart firefox 4, should be good now.

Cédric

1 commentaire:

  1. I use FF 4.0 with Puppy Linux. The trick works well, thank you!

    RépondreSupprimer